Canyon County


New User Registration
Forgot Your Password
Elected OfficialsCommissionersDepartmentsDevelopment ServicesBuilding DepartmentBuilding and Mechanical Permits
Building and Mechanical Permits
Stay Connected: Facebook Twitter 

Building Code 06-01-09

(1) Building Permits; it shall be unlawful for any person to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, move, remove, convert or demolish any building or structure unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the County Development Service Department. (Ord. 15-004, 03-13-2015)

Compliance for a Building Permit

Building Permits require submittal documents as listed below.  To submit your application, it will be necessary for you to visit the Development Services (DSD) office Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (We are closed all major Holidays.)  Commercial structures may require additional documents, so please check with a Planner.   Please submit all necessary documentation at the time of your visit .

  • Complete Building Permit Application;
  • Deed or Sales Agreement with a legal description is required only if recently purchased or if the legal description or ownership has changed with the last 60 days;
  • A detailed site plan (does not have to be to scale) showing dimensions of the entire property (boundary lines); show and label the use of each existing structure and the proposed new structure (i.e. house, barn shop) showing approximate distances from the proposed structure to the property boundaries and between structures. Indicate names of adjacent roads.  Indicate where existing septic/well is in relation to structures; show any easements;
  • Two (2) sets of complete building plans drawn 1/4" to 1" scale;
  • 8 1/2" x 11" copy of the site plan and floor plans (all floors, including bonus room, existing floor plan with rooms labeled If addition to residence);
  • A Southwest District Health Department Septic Permit;
  • Highway District Access/Approach Permit or Idaho Department of Transportation Permit if on a State Highway. (Approach Permit ){page 111/142} (Jurisdiction Contacts);
  • A RES Check (Energy Conservation Compliance Worksheet, and/or a COM Check.
  • Manual J, or S & D Heating and Cooling Calculations (typically provided by your HVAC Contrctor) is a requirement for a new residence or a new "conditioned" structure;
  • Fire District Access Permit if the furthest point of the house is more than 150-feet from the edge of the public right-of-way or if the structure will have access onto a private road;
  • A $70 Zoning Compliance fee will be collected at the time the application is submitted; we accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover with an approx 3% convenience fee included in the charge by the credit card company.
  • Additional Building Permit and Plan Review Fees will be due at the time permit is issued. (Exhibit A-Fee-schedule   ).

Additional Documentation May Be Required

Depending on the project, an applicant may also be required to provide the following documentation:

  • A Mechanical Permit  New Construction     Commercial Construction     Retro Construction      Mechanical Permit Procedures     Credit Card Authorization Form     
  • Certificate of the private road or driveway may be required by a professional engineer certifying the driveway surface meets Canyon County Standards;
  • Certification acceptable to the Development Services Department Director certifying the private road sign has been installed to meet agency standards;
  • Copy of the recorded Road User's Maintenance Agreement and recorded easement (required if access road is private);
  • If your property is in a Flood Plain, you will be required to apply for a Development Permit.   Elevation Certificate and Development Permit   
  • Any other documentation identified by the Planner;
  • Additional requirements or conditions as assigned as the result of a public hearing;
  • If you are building in the Nampa or Caldwell Impact Areas, addresses should be assigned from that city;  
  • Ag-Exempt Permits require a Certificate of Zoning Compliance for qualified structures (ask a planner what qualifies ) - a $70 fee applies;
  • Commercial structures will require a Fire District Stamp on plans submitted with accompanying documentation;
  • Commercial structures will require a COM Check;
  • We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover with an approx 3% convenience fee included in the charge by the credit card company.
  • Manufactured Home Application
    • Ad Valorem (required for previously owned Manufactured Homes that are being purchased from an individual showing that taxes are current.  You may obtain a copy from the Assessor's office of the county where the home is located.)
    • Pre-1976 Rehab Form    signed by the State of Idaho (visit their website for complete details).

*Note:  A delay in submitting any required documentation will result in a delay in the issuance of the Building Permit.  The above list of required documentation is a guideline and may be subject to change without notice.

Copyright © Canyon County, Idaho | Contact Information | Liability Disclaimer  | Site Map
1115 Albany St. Caldwell, Idaho 83605 | Phone: (208) 454-7300