Canyon County


New User Registration
Forgot Your Password
Stay Connected: Facebook Twitter 


As a victim of a crime, I would like my property returned to me. How do I get it back?

Property may often be returned to a victim during or before a trial. However, if the property is of an important evidentiary nature, it may be required during the trial. Contact the investigating law enforcement agency to determine if your property may be returned to you.

Back to Questions

Do I get paid to testify as a witness to a crime?

No. A free society is the benefit gained by testifying as to the truth about crime or crimes. While sometimes inconvenient, acting as a witness and stepping forward to testify helps to safeguard that free society. In some situations, the travel costs of a witness may be reimbursed, depending on the case and the circumstances surrounding it.  Remember that a subpoena is a legal court order directing you to appear in court. Failing or refusing to answer a subpoena by appearing in court at the prescribed date and time may cause the court to issue an order for your arrest.

Back to Questions

Does the Prosecutor’s Office provide free legal advice to tax payers?

No, the statutory duties of the Prosecutor’s Office does not extend to free legal advice. If you are a defendant in a criminal matter, and you cannot afford an attorney, one may be appointed for you by the court. Your defense attorney will provide you with legal advice regarding your court case. If you are not a defendant in a criminal case and need legal services that you cannot afford, Legal Aid may be able to help you. They can be contacted at (208) 336-8980 or visit their web page at

Back to Questions

How do I find out the date and time of a specific hearing?

If you are the defendant in a criminal action you will be notified of all court hearings, either directly by the court or through your attorney. If you are a victim, witness or other interested party, you may be able to obtain information from our office at 208-454-7391. Please have the case number and defendant’s name handy when you call. In addition, the Prosecutor's Office provides an online court calendar that is updated on a weekly basis.

Back to Questions

How do I obtain a restraining order or civil protection order?

Contact our office for information on obtaining a a protection or restraining order. If you have been a victim of a crime, notify law enforcement immediately. On some cases, the Judge automatically enters an order to protect the victim and/or witnesses.

Back to Questions

How long do most cases take to go through the system?

The length of each case will differ depending on case type and severity. Misdemeanors may take several months while more serious felonies sometimes take several years to go through the system from start to finish. Defendants have a right to a speedy trial under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution. Speak to an attorney about the specific definition of “speedy” in Idaho.

Back to Questions

How will I know if a case has gone to trial?

If you are a victim of a crime and opt to make use of the victim’s services provided by the Prosecutor’s Office, you will be notified of the trial by letter or telephone. If you have a general interest in a case and would like to know the trial date or other information, call 208-454-7391 to get more details. Please have the case number and defendant’s name handy when you call.

Back to Questions

I am a defendant, and I would like to talk with the Deputy Prosecutor assigned to my case, but he/she refuses to communicate with me. What do I do?

All attorneys in Idaho are governed by the Rules of Professional Conduct. These rules prevent prosecuting attorneys from speaking with a defendant, other than through the defendant’s defense attorney, whether private or court-appointed. Any questions or concerns about your case should be directed to your attorney.

Back to Questions

I am not able to make my court date because of a conflict. Can it be changed?

The date and time of all court hearings are set by the Judge assigned to your case. Contact the assigned deputy prosecuting attorney immediately if you are not able to attend court. The deputy prosecuting attorney can make a request for a change, but any modifications to the court calendar will be made at the discretion of the Court. The Prosecuting Attorney has no control over the court calendar. Should you fail to make the proper arrangements and did not appear for your court hearing, a warrant may be issued by the court for your arrest.

Back to Questions

I am the victim of a crime, but would like all charges dropped. Can I do that?

The decision to drop a case may only be made by the prosecutor. Please contact our office at 208-454-7391 if you have questions or concerns.

Back to Questions

I have been served a subpoena and would like to know if I still will be needed for court. How do I get that information?

If you are no longer needed for court, you will receive a phone call from our office with that information. To confirm, you may call 208-454-7391 to get information about the court hearing. Please have the case number and defendant’s name handy when you call.

Back to Questions

I need to download victim and/or restitution forms – where do I find them?

Visit our Download page for a list of all public services’ forms, including victim and restitution forms. Contact our office at 208-454-7391 if you need assistance filling out the forms.

Back to Questions

I would like a copy of a police report. Can I obtain those reports?

If you are the defendant in a criminal case, all police reports will be delivered to your attorney according to the rules of discovery. If you are not the defendant in the case, you will need to submit a Public Records Request to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Back to Questions

If I am the victim of a crime, will I be required to testify?
<p> Yes, it is likely that you will have to testify in court. Each defendant is afforded the right under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution of being present during any court proceedings against them.</p>

Back to Questions

What are my rights as a victim of crime?

Visit our Victim’s Services page to get more information about your rights as a victim. Or, contact our office at 208-454-7391 to speak with a Victim/Witness Coordinator about your case. NOTE: to receive victim’s services from our office, you must be the victim of a crime being prosecuted by the Canyon County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. If you’re not sure which office is prosecuting your case, contact us. If we don’t have your case in our office, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Back to Questions

What do I do if I witness a crime?

Call 911 immediately. Notice and remember any details about the person or persons who may have committed the crime. Cooperate with law enforcement and the Prosecutor’s Office. Provide as much detail as possible and appear in court when asked. As a witness to a crime, you are an important part of the process of making our community and neighborhoods safer.

Back to Questions

What do I do if I’m the victim of a crime?

Call 911 immediately. The operator will notify the appropriate law enforcement agency. It is important to contact 911 as soon as possible because the sooner a crime is reported, the greater the chance that the perpetrator will be caught and prosecuted.

Back to Questions

What kinds of cases are handled by the Canyon County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office?

The Prosecutor’s Office handles a variety of case types, including:

  1. All felony cases occurring in Canyon County.

  2. Felony and misdemeanor cases from other counties that have been transferred because of a conflict of interest.

  3. Misdemeanors and infractions committed in the county.

  4. Misdemeanors for Nampa, Parma, Wilder, Greenleaf, Notus and the county. Caldwell and Middleton misdemeanor cases are handled by the respective city attorneys’ office.

  5. Mental holds.

  6. Specialty court cases, including Mental Health Court, Drug Court, Domestic Violence Court, and DUI Court.

  7. Child Protection Act cases.

  8. Cases that fall under the purview of the Juvenile Corrections Act.

  9. In addition, the Prosecutor’s Office acts as official legal counsel for Canyon County, its elected officials and departments.

Back to Questions

Bryan Taylor, JD, PhD

Prosecutor's Contact Info Address:
1115 Albany Street
Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone: (208) 454-7391
Fax: (208) 454-7474
Civil Fax: (208) 455-5955

Copyright © Canyon County, Idaho | Contact Information | Liability Disclaimer  | Site Map
1115 Albany St. Caldwell, Idaho 83605 | Phone: (208) 454-7300