English | Español

Indigent Services


Canyon County Indigent Services was created to administer assistance to Canyon County residents for payment of medical and non-medical expenses as mandated by Idaho Code Title 31, Chapters 34 & 35.  Assistance from Canyon County is provided by taxpayer funds and is to be “a last resort.”    Under Idaho law, an automatic lien is created on all real and personal property of those who file an application for county medical assistance.

Upon receipt of a combined application for medical assistance, the Applicant must complete an interview and provide personal and financial information and any other documentation relating to residency and resources.  Canyon County will conduct an investigation of the application to present to the Board of Canyon County Commissioners to make a decision.   Any assistance approved by Canyon County is required to be reimbursed.  All approvals will include an Order for Reimbursement and the Applicant will be required to sign a Promissory Note.

An application for non-medical assistance may be found on this website.

Pay Online > Pay by Phone: 844-323-8119 (IVR System) Fees: 2.5% of payment amount (minimum $2.00) to be paid by the customer for credit and debit cards 3.0% flat fee (for payments of $10,000 or less) to be paid by the customer for each electronic check transaction

Title 31 Idaho State Code Chapter 34 Nonmedical Indigent Assistance Chapter 35 Hospitals for Indigent Sick

What is Indigent Services?

(1) It is the policy of this state that each person, to the maximum extent possible, is responsible for his or her own medical care and to that end, shall be encouraged to purchase his or her own medical insurance with coverage sufficient to prevent them from needing to request assistance pursuant to this chapter. However, in order to safeguard the public health, safety and welfare, and to provide suitable facilities and provisions for the care and hospitalization of persons in this state, and, in the case of medically indigent residents, to provide for the payment thereof, the respective counties of this state, and the board and the department shall have the duties and powers as hereinafter provided. (2)  The county medically indigent program and the catastrophic health care cost program are payers of last resort. Therefore, applicants or third party applicants seeking financial assistance under the county medically indigent program and the catastrophic health care cost program shall be subject to the limitations and requirements as set forth herein.  I.C. 31-3501

Who is eligible for assistance?

You must be a legal resident of the State of Idaho and Canyon County. You will be considered a resident of Idaho if:

  1. You have actually lived in Idaho for a consecutive period of thirty (30) days; and
  2. You do not live in Idaho on a temporary basis.

You will be considered a resident of Canyon County if:

  1. You have actually maintained a residence in Canyon County for six (6) consecutive months or longer within the past five (5) years preceding the date of your application for assistance and
  2. You do not live in Canyon County on a temporary basis.

You must be “medically indigent”. This means that your resources available to you are not sufficient to pay the medical debt if payment were spread over a five (5) year period. “Resources” means all property, for which an applicant and/or an obligated person may be eligible or in which he or she may have an interest, whether tangible or intangible, real or personal, liquid or non-liquid, or pending, including, but not limited to, all forms of public assistance, crime victims compensation, worker’s compensation, veterans benefits, Medicaid, Medicare, supplemental security income (SSI), third party insurance, other insurance or apply for section 1011 of the Medicare modernization act of 2003, if applicable, and any other property from any source.  I.C. 31-3502 (25) The treatment must be medically necessary.

  1. “Necessary medical services” means health care services and supplies that:

(a)  Health care providers, exercising prudent clinical judgment, would provide to a person for the purpose of preventing, evaluating, diagnosing or treating an illness, injury, disease or its symptoms; (b)  Are in accordance with generally accepted standards of medical practice; (c)  Are clinically appropriate, in terms of type, frequency, extent, site and duration and are considered effective for the covered person’s illness, injury or disease; (d)  Are not provided primarily for the convenience of the person, physician or other health care provider; and (e)  Are the most cost-effective service or sequence of services or supplies, and at least as likely to produce equivalent therapeutic or diagnostic results for the person’s illness, injury or disease.

  1. Necessary medical services shall not include the following:

(a)  Bone marrow transplants; (b)  Organ transplants; (c)  Elective, cosmetic and/or experimental procedures; (d)  Services related to, or provided by, residential, skilled nursing, assisted living and/or shelter care facilities; (e)  Normal, uncomplicated pregnancies, excluding caesarean section, and childbirth well-baby care; (f)  Medicare copayments and deductibles; (g)  Services provided by, or available to, an applicant from state, federal and local health programs; (h)  Medicaid copayments and deductibles; and (i)  Drugs, devices or procedures primarily utilized for weight reduction and complications directly related to such drugs, devices or procedures. I.C. 31-3502 (18)

How do I apply for assistance?

Any person seeking assistance with payment of medical bills must do so by completing an approved application: http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/Portals/0/Providers/Medicaid/CombinedApplicationENG.pdf pdf Your application must be complete.  Failure to complete the application may result in the application being denied.

What will the Indigent Services Staff do during the investigation?

The clerk shall interview the applicant and investigate the information provided on the application, along with all other required information, in accordance with the procedures established by the county commissioners, the board and this chapter. The clerk shall promptly notify the applicant, or third party filing an application on behalf of an applicant, of any material information missing from the application which, if omitted, may cause the application to be denied for incompleteness. In addition, any provider requesting notification shall be notified at the same time. When necessary, such persons as may be deemed essential, may be compelled by the clerk to give testimony and produce documents and other evidence under oath in order to complete the investigation. The clerk is hereby authorized to issue subpoenas to carry out the intent of this provision and to otherwise compel compliance in accordance with provisions of Idaho law. I.C. 31-3505A This investigation will include but limited to review all applicant financial documentation and resources, review medical records and bills, and review application for completeness and timeliness.

If I qualify, how much will the Indigent Program pay?

Canyon County Indigent Services will pay for necessary medical services not to exceed the aggregate amount of eleven thousand dollars ($11,000) per applicant for any twelve (12) month period. Canyon County Indigent Services will submit to the State Catastrophic Health Care Cost Program any bills above eleven thousand dollars ($11,000). Providers and hospitals shall accept payment made by an obligated county or the board as payment in full. Providers and hospitals shall not bill an applicant or any other obligated person for services that have been paid by an obligated county or the board pursuant to the provisions of this chapter for any balance on the amount paid.  I.C. 31-3509

Do I have to pay Canyon County back for money spent on my behalf?

Receipt of financial assistance pursuant to this chapter shall obligate an applicant to reimburse the obligated county and the board for such reasonable portion of the financial assistance paid on behalf of the applicant as the county commissioners may determine that the applicant is able to pay from resources over a reasonable period of time. Cash amounts received shall be prorated between the county and the board in proportion to the amount each has paid.  I.C. 31-3510A (1)

If my application is denied, may I appeal?

Yes. An applicant, provider or third party applicant may appeal an initial determination of the county commissioners denying an application by filing a written notice of appeal with the county commissioners within twenty-eight (28) days of the date of the denial. If no appeal is filed within the time allowed, the initial determination of the county commissioners denying an application shall become final.  I.C. 31-3505 D

Upon application for financial assistance pursuant to Idaho law, Title 31, Chapter 35, an automatic lien shall attach to all real and personal property of the applicant and on insurance benefits to which the applicant may become entitled. The lien shall also attach to any additional resources to which it may legally attach not covered in this section. The lien created by this section may be, in the discretion of the county commissioners and the board, perfected as to real property and fixtures by recording a document entitled: notice of lien and application for financial assistance, in any county recorder’s office in this state in which the applicant and obligated person own property. The notice of lien and application for financial assistance shall be recorded as provided herein within thirty (30) days from receipt of an application, and such lien, if so recorded, shall have a priority date as of the date the necessary medical services were provided. The lien created by this section may also be, in the discretion of the county commissioners and the board, perfected as to personal property by filing with the secretary of state within thirty (30) days of receipt of an application, a notice of application in substantially the same manner as a filing under chapter 9, title 28, Idaho Code, except that such notice need not be signed and no fee shall be required, and, if so filed, such lien shall have the priority date as of the date the necessary medical services were provided. An application for assistance pursuant to this chapter shall waive any confidentiality granted by state law to the extent necessary to carry out the intent of this section.  I.C. 31-3504 (4)

To comply with the provisions of Idaho Code §31-3412, it is the duty of the County to provide for the final disposition of the indigent deceased, if the requirements of indigency and residency are met, in an amount established by the Board of County Commissioners.

Relatives and friends of the deceased, local funeral homes or the Canyon County Coroner may submit an application for cremation.  Please note state law requires that the application must be filed with Canyon County Indigent Services before services are rendered.  Services rendered prior to filing an application will result in a denial. Idaho Code §31-3412.

Assistance is not available for: certified death certificates; urn or casket; interment of cremated remains; headstone; transfer/transportation costs and, the conducting of a memorial or funeral services of any type.

Application for Cremation Assistance pdf

Local Funeral Business Listing:

Release: Canyon County Indigent Services does not guarantee any funeral home in the listing as cooperative with the Canyon County Non-Medical application process. (All links below are external external)

Canyon County:

Alsip and Persons Funeral Chapel
404 10th Ave S
Nampa, Idaho 83651

Dakan Funeral Chapel
504 S Kimball Ave
Caldwell, Idaho 83605

Flahiff Funeral Chapels & Crematory
624 Cleveland Blvd
Caldwell, Idaho 83605

Nampa Funeral Home
415 12th Ave S
Nampa, Idaho 83651

Zeyer Funeral Chapel
83 N Midland Blvd
Nampa, Idaho 83651

Ada County:

Accent Funeral Home
1303 N Main St
Meridian, Idaho 83642

Alden-Waggoner Funeral Chapel
5400 W Fairview Ave
Boise, Idaho 83706

Bella Vida Funeral Home
9661 W Chinden Blvd
Boise, Idaho 83714

Boise Funeral Home Aclesa Chapel
8209 W Fairview Ave
Boise, Idaho 83704

Bowman Funeral Parlor
10254 W Carlton Bay Dr
Boise, Idaho 83714

Cloverdale Funeral Home, Cemetery, & Crematory
1200 N Cloverdale Rd
Boise, Idaho 83713

Relyea Funeral Chapel
318 N Latah St
Boise, Idaho 83706

Cremation Society of Idaho
5541 W Overland Rd
Boise, Idaho 83705

Summers Funeral Homes
3629 E Ustick Rd
Meridian, Idaho 83642

Veterans Affairs Idaho State Veterans Cemetery
10100 N Horseshoe Bend Rd
Boise, Idaho 83714

Rental/Utility assistance is not available at this time.

The funds available through Canyon County Indigent Services are levied annually from property taxation. Idaho law requires that receipt of financial assistance pursuant to this chapter shall obligate an applicant to reimburse the obligated county and the board for such reasonable portion of the financial assistance paid on behalf of the applicant as the county commissioners may determine that the applicant is able to pay from resources over a reasonable period of time.  Cash amounts received shall be prorated between the county and the board in proportion to the amount each has paid. Idaho Code §31-3510A(1).

(All links below are external external)

Program Services Provided Address Phone Website
TVCRC – Treasure Valley Community Resource Center Food, Housing, Support Groups, Utilities, Legal, Education, Elderly Assistance 2412 E Chicago St. Caldwell, ID  83605 (208)459-9263 http://www.idahoconnections.org
WICAP – Western Idaho Community Action Partnership Education, Housing, Emergency Serv. (Clothing, Heating Food) Employment, Income Management 502 Main St.           Caldwell, ID  83606 (208)454-0675 www.wicap.org/canyonCoCenter.aspx
CCOA – Canyon County on Aging Assistance to Elderly, Disabled, Low Income:  Weatherization, Medicare Education, Food Program 304 N. Kimball Ave. Caldwell, ID  83605 (208)459-0063 https://aging.idaho.gov/                         
Salvation Army Nampa Food, Shelter, 403 12th Ave. S. Nampa, ID  83651 (208)467-6586 http://nampa.salvationarmy.org/
St. Vincent De Paul Society Food, Shelter, Prescription Assistance, Utilities, Household Goods, Transportation, Clothing 3719 Cleveland Blvd. Caldwell, ID  83605 Caldwell:                            Eng:  (208)919-2940             Spn:  (208)571-2160 Nampa:   (208)466-3400 http://www.svdpid.org/home/
Nampa Housing Authority Affordable Housing 211 19th Ave. N.     Nampa, ID  83687 (208)466-2601 www.nampahousing.com/
Caldwell Housing Authority Affordable Housing 22730 Farmway Rd. Caldwell, ID 83606 (208)459-2232 http://chaidaho.org/index.html
Idaho Housing and Finance Association Rental Assistance, Homelessness  Assistance   Housing Hotline:                    1-877-438-4472                         1-800-545-1833 http://www.ihfa.org
SICHA – Southwestern Idaho Cooperative Housing Authority Rental Assistance, Low Income Housing 377 Cornell St. Middleton, ID 83644 (208)585-9325 http://www.SICHA.org/
CATCH – Charitable Assistance to Community’s Homeless Homeless Prevention, Rental Assistance, May help provide first month rent or deposit on new home 306 2nd Street South Nampa, ID 83651 (208)442-5300 www.catchprogram.org
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Rent, Temporary Housing, Referrals to non-profit & government agencies for assistance.   Canyon County:    (208)331-4754 https://www.usa.gov/federal…/u-s-department-of-housing-and-urban-development

Canyon County Resource Guide pdf County Medical Expense Assistance Application (lower center of page – combined application for assistance under State and County Medical Assistance) Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Idaho Care Line (an Idaho general community resource referral system) Self-Rescue Manual (references are Ada County – many are statewide agencies – CANYON COUNTY self-rescue manual coming soon) Idaho Health Insurance Exchange Crime Victims Compensation Program Crime Victims Compensation Application Social Security Administration for Disabilities Medication Assistance: Pharmaceutical Companies Patient Assistance Programs Cremation for Veterans: Burial Benefits Burial Allowances Application for Veterans Burial


111 N. 11th Ave Suite 340 Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7419
F 208-454-7463



Weekdays 8am – 5pm
(excluding holidays)

Yvonne Baker