To obtain a Marriage License in Canyon County Recorder office (age 18 & older) Idaho Code 32-403:
- Fill out an Online Marriage Application
- Both parties must appear together
- Each party must know their Social Security Number
- Cost of Marriage License – $28.00 cash only
- Each party present an government ID (examples: Passport, Driver’s License, State ID)
- Blood tests are not required. Effective July 1, 2019, the county will no longer be providing the educational pamphlet regarding Aids (per Senate Bill No. 1055, Idaho Code 32-412A)
Additional items for parties 16 or 17 years of age. Parties must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and present the following (Idaho code 32-202):
- Original birth certificate or a certified copy from the 16 or 17 year old
- Parent or legal guardian must complete:
- Affidavit of Consent to Marriage of Minor – Must be written and signed in the presence of the Clerk
- Legal guardian must supply a certified copy of their appointment of guardianship
*Please Note: Applicants 15 years of age and under will need a court order to get married* -Idaho code 32-202
After you have obtained the marriage license, the next step is to find a person to legally perform the ceremony. Here is a list of who may conduct a marriage ceremony.
To get married in courthouse:
- Please go to the 2nd floor, Room 201from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- No appointment necessary. However will depend on a Judge’s availability.
- Have a Marriage license.
- Both be present.
- $25.00 in cash to be paid to the Judge.
- Witnesses are not required. May have up to 50 guest in the courtroom for ceremony.
To obtain a certified copy of the marriage license from Canyon County:
Please mail in a request. On the request include these items:
- List the date of marriage.
- List the full names of the couple (list the name you had before marriage).
- A phone number, email or another form of contact.
- The appropriate fees. To find the appropriate fees please contact the Canyon County Recorder & Passport office at (208) 454-7555.
- A return envelope with your address.
Or pick-up a certified copy at the Canyon County Recorder’s & Passport Office. Address is Canyon County Administration Building, 111 North 11th Ave, Suite 330 (3rd floor), Caldwell, Idaho 83605.
Are marriage ceremonies performed at the Canyon County Courthouse? Yes. The judges are available to marry couples Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. It is a first come first serve basis. Please call ahead during the holiday season as their times may differ. The cost is $25.00. Exact cash is required. You may have up to 100 witnesses If you have any other questions regarding the judges availability beyond the hours above, please call 454-7365, 454-6612, 454-7512 or 454-6889.
Can I be married with an Idaho Marriage License in another state? No, an Idaho State Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.
Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license? No, however, with an Idaho State Marriage License, you must get married in Idaho.
Do you accept credit & debit cards? No, we accept cash only. There is an ATM in the Courthouse.
Is an Idaho Marriage recognized in other states? Yes.
Is there a waiting period before using the license? No, you may get married (the same day) immediately after obtaining your marriage license.
When we receive the Marriage License, are we married? No, an authorized clergy member, judge or other designated official, i.e. mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony. Marriage Solemnization Chart
When will the Marriage License expire? There is no expiration date on the license. If a completed original is not returned within a year, please contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics at (208)334-5988.
Who is authorized to solemnize a marriage ceremony in Idaho? (Marriage Solemnization Chart) The Bureau of Vital Statistics requires (in order to record the license) that the officiant be authorized under Idaho Code Section 32-303. Authorized officiants must be from Idaho; the only exceptions being: – Any federal judge – Retired Idaho governor – Priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination
111 N 11th Ave SUITE 330
Caldwell, ID 83605
Phone / Fax
Weekdays 8am – 5pm