In response to the Canyon County community’s turnout at the past three annual household hazardous waste and electronic waste disposal events, the Pickle Butte Sanitary Landfill will begin offering quarterly disposal events at no cost to residents. The first event will be held on Wednesday, December 12 at the same location as the past two annual events – the northwest parking lot of the Ford Idaho Center. Residents are encouraged to drop off their household hazardous and electronic waste anytime between 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The event is absolutely no cost for Canyon County households.
Additional household hazardous waste and electronic waste disposal events are scheduled for March 13, 2019; June 12, 2019; and September 11, 2019. The locations of these events are still being determined.
Common household hazardous waste and e-waste that will be accepted include:
- Cleaning Products: oven cleaners, drain cleaners, wood and metal cleaners and polishers, toilet cleaners, tub and shower cleaners, tile cleaners, bleach, pool chemicals.
- Indoor Pesticides: ant spray and baits, cockroach sprays and baits, flea repellents and shampoos, bug sprays, houseplant insecticides, moth repellents, mouse/rat poison and baits.
- Automotive Products: motor oil, fuel additives, carburetor and fuel injection cleaners, starter fluids, automotive batteries, transmission and brake fluid, antifreeze.
- Workshop/Painting Supplies: adhesives and glues, furniture strippers, oil or enamel based paints, stains and finishes, paint thinners and turpentine, paint strippers and removers, photographic chemicals, fixatives and other solvents.
- Lawn/Garden Products: herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, wood preservatives
- Household Batteries and Fluorescent Light bulbs: nickel-cadmium batteries, lithium/lithium ion batteries, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs.
- Other Flammable Products: propane tanks, kerosene, home heating oil, diesel fuel, gas/oil mix, lighter fluid
- Electronic Waste: cell phones, computers, monitors, printers, audio/video, small devices (iPods, gaming devices), other equipment with a cord
***Please note that no biological or radiological waste will be accepted. No explosives, ammunition, or prescription drugs will be accepted either***
Qualifying Canyon County businesses may also take advantage of the quarterly disposal event by calling Stericycle at (208) 761-6242 and scheduling an appointment. Businesses must pre-qualify as a “Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators” (CESQG). A CESQG must generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste or 2.2 pounds of “acutely hazardous waste” per month.